The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a short "Ghost" story. It is a good candidate to adapt for a Halloween English lesson. This page describes how to make a puppet show with the story and combine the show with the gambling game.
You need the puppets and the backdrops. You also need the same items for the gambling game. Here is a list of items to make for the puppet show:
This is very much a listening activity. As you are only going to do the play once, you need to make sure that they are listening properly. Give specific instructions for the students to take notes on every scene. Emphasise that it is fine to write notes in Japanese. Give an indication as to what type of questions you are going to ask. For example, if you are going to ask about names, then make sure you tell them to write down the names. I suggest taking a break between each act and getting them to write a summary. For example, what happened where to who?
- What is Ichibod’s Job?
- What are some monsters in Ghost stories (name three)?
- What subjects does Ichibod teach (name 2)?
- Where does Katrina live?
- What day is the party on?
- Who does Katrina invite?
- What does the farmer give Ichibod?
- What is the name of the horse?
- Does Katrina’s father know Ichibod?
- When Katrina was dancing with Bones, was she thirsty?
- What does Bones like?
Act One (第1幕)
Act Two (第2幕)
Act Three (第3幕)
Act Four (第4幕)