- Transportation from Kyushu is via ferry from Sasebo . There are a variety of ferries of different prices and speeds. A basic one-way ferry charge for Ferry Narushio is about 2500 yen (3hrs). The fast ferry Sea Queen is more expensive (1.5-2.5 hrs)
- Ferry Taiko also provides daily service between Fukuoka and the Goto islands, and stops at Ojika (5hrs).
Ojika can also be reached directly by regular ferries from Uku and Shinkamigoto islands.
To/from the airportEdit
- The airport, built in the mid-1980's, is not currently in operation.
- The nearest airports to Ojika are Fukuoka Airport and Nagasaki Airport.
- There is a bus that travels around the island, but the schedule is very infrequent
- There is no car rental, but there is taxi service available from the main town of Fuefuki.
- The simplest way to get around is by bicycle. Transport of a bicycle from the mainland or other islands by regular ferry is simple and costs between 400~3500 yen depending on the particular ferry and where you are coming from.
- Bicycles can be rented at the Ferry Terminal from the Island Tourism organization.
There is one prefectural ALT placed on Ojika. This ALT is stationed at Hokusho-Nishi High School, and also teaches regularly at Ojika Chugakko, Ojika Shogakko, and (Ooshima Bunko <--Ooshima students now travel to Ojika Shogakko).
Ojika will have a new ALT as of August, 2014.
Ojika receives tourists from English speaking contries twice a month during the summer. There are several Philipino women residing on the island who are married to Japanese husbands.
Places to visitEdit